Friends...how many of us have them?

bad friendshipsLast week I wrote on what we should look for in friends; now let’s see if we’re holding up our end of the deal! ;-) As I write this, I think about some of the qualities my current friends possess as opposed to qualities that I’ve seen in friends from times past (the operative word here, being “past”). ;-))

I have certain standards, as should you, I look for in a friend (no, not that I’m better than the next person) – I just REALLY ENJOY living in a “drama free” zone, 

which is working quite WELL for me! ;-) Some of these descriptions may sound funny, but sadly, they are so true and I see them in the lives of
so many people. As a friend you must make sure you’re NOT “The Cling On” - you know, the needy friend - the person who acts as if they can’t possibly live without others. People don’t realize this is a quality that must NOT be overlooked! If you’re a needy friend, then all you’ll do is suck your relationships dry. Your friend(s) will always be giving and you’ll always be taking. I don’t care what anyone says…they may be nice to your face; but I guarantee, behind your back; they won’t like you very much and will only look at you as a problem! I mean really, we as women are surrounded by people who are dependent on us on a daily basis (and rightfully so)…the last thing we need is a friend who is always taking and NEVER giving. Don’t get me wrong, there will be times when one friend has to be the shoulder to cry on or the springboard, all at one time. What I’m referencing to here is that person who NEVER seems to be around for the other person when the tables are turned. Another friendship zapper - that’s to the OTHER extreme - is “The Know-It-All”. This is the overbearing friend…one of MY major pet peeves. To make it clear, these friends can be great helpers. They may be there whenever you need them however; they can sometimes use it as a way to intricately weave themselves into the lives of others. I perceive they aren’t getting the attention they need from the loved ones in their lives and their validation comes from overcompensating in the area of friendships. Next thing you know, they’re giving their opinions (all the time might I add) and unwanted advice; and if those opinions or advice are not eagerly received they get very offended – making sure they let YOU know, they feel under appreciated. Last, but most certainly not least; please oh please make sure you’re NOT ’The Pig”…this is the person who “hogs” their friendships; no one else can be within a five foot radius of their friend, if so, you’ll see them wear “green envy” like a badge of honor. No one else can talk to their friend without them spiraling into the “abyss” of paranoia. It can sometimes borderline "possessiveness" and can make a great storyline for a "Lifetime" movie. Sounds crazy right – because it is! All jokes aside ladies, please take a look at your friendships, and if it seems as if they’re not the way they used to be – examine yourself and make sure as a friend you’re not giving off any of these attributes and if you are...I admonish you to make a change. No, I'm not criticizing you, I just want you to experience healthy, long-lived friendships, the ones that we all deserve. It’s so much easier to have healthy friendships when our relationship with God is solid. I’m a firm believer that if you have an unhealthy relationship with yourself, more than likely your relationships with others will suffer in the process. God’s girls are way above the drama of this day and age. We know that good friends are to be cherished, not taken advantage of or misused. As a friend, you should be just that; a friend – someone who’s a confidant, who supports, encourages, is loyal and loving; and does unto them as you would have them do unto you. Ruth 1:16-17. ICYB! ;-))  



4 comments:

  1. Well written and well said, my prayer is that I always understand and know my role as a friend. Thank you for being a friend, traveled around the world and back again, your heart is true, your a pal and a (your turn).....finish the song. LOL. Luv you and may God continue to bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do one better, I'll sing it! ;-)) "...confidant. And if you threw a paaartyyy, aannd invited everyone you kneeewww. It would be, the biggest gift would be from me...and the card attached would say...THANK YOU for being a friieeennnd!!" LOL!! Love you too lady and thank you for being a friend!;-))!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! Definitely will inspire me when I need it! thanks for following my blog - I'm a new SITS girl so I need followers and you made my day! Keep on writing - very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...thanks so much for the encouragement Susan! Love your blog also! Decorating is one of my passions and I'm sure like you, I can find beauty in anything(well almost anything), lol! Happy blogging and thanks again for stopping by!;-))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by...I really appreciate it! Please check back for a response to your comment, as I post all responses to comments here on the blog, not via email. Please note, as this is a Christian blog...any comment that contains offensive and/or inappropriate language will be sent to the authorities...NAH, but seriously though, they WILL BE deleted. :-) Have a great day...I call you blessed! ;-)