Hey ladies! Today my husband and I celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary…YAY to US! To celebrate this occasion, I’ve compiled a list of 24 practical points of wisdom that if you’re married or thinking about one day becoming…you may want to read. In my 24 years of marriage, these are principles I learned along the way either personally, from observing other marriages or from the Holy Spirit. Most are serious, some are humorous...but more than anything, they have helped build our marriage. Enjoy!
- Win the battle over your insecurities NOW, the longer you wait the harder it will be.
- To all the moms and future moms…kids ARE a blessing from God, but NEVER neglect your marriage by putting ALL your time and energy into your kids. Share the love, show him you care and let him know he's important.
- Be in agreement with your spouse concerning finances, disciplining your kids, etc.
- Don’t take yourself too serious…by all means HAVE FUN! Don’t allow yourself to be so easily offended.
- Don’t wear your grumpy hat, keep it on a hook in the closet. No one wants to be around a sour puss all the time. In every relationship you're a part of...you always want to be an asset.
- Stay in the Word and seek His wisdom concerning your marriage!
- Take time to work on YOU and don’t forget to take care of yourself in the process. When I say work on you, I mean your attitude, your heart, etc. Take care of yourself physically, mentally and spiritually...know your worth! If you don’t take care of the aforementioned things above, everyone connected to you will suffer in some way.
- Don’t teach your children to dishonor their father.
- With every fiber of your being, don’t become familiar with your husband by taking him for granted.
- KEEP YOURSELF UP!
- Guess what? It’s okay NOT to have the last word(you always want the last impression someone has of you to be a pleasant one)…and YES your husband qualifies as a *someone*, lol.
- When it’s game time(on television that is)…LEAVE HIM ALONE…I mean really?(See #s 1 and 7 )
- Always check the atmosphere/temperature. You should always know the right time to ask for anything. He’ll be more obliged to give it to you! ;-)
- Your husband is NOT a child so STOP nagging him…that even gets on MY nerves. Oh and NEVER scold him, remember, he's not a child.
- If you’re wrong, fix it and never stay angry too long.
- By all means, please keep your friends out of your relationship; that’s what teenagers do.
- Count up the cost…marriage is not for the faint-at-heart. (smile)
- Let’s be honest…marriage isn’t always going to be lovey-dovey. I mean really…there are going to be times when you don’t even want to be in the same room, but you’ll get over it...I promise! (See # 15)
- Make your home a haven. He’s worked all day dealing with all sorts of people, the last thing he needs is to come home to chaos.
- Whatever you do, hold up your end of the deal in your marriage. Do your part to the best of your ability. You can’t control what anyone else does, no matter how hard you try…it’s a fact you know.
- Did I mention…Stay in the Word AND seek His wisdom?
- The headache excuse can only be used so many times ladies. Oh, and might I add…you’re not a nun…so loosen up! Do I have to spell it out? In.the.bedroom!
- For all wives whose husbands are in ministry, sow them into the Kingdom. Get it through your head now…you’ll never and should never want to, come before God
- Date nights are great, but who are we kidding…usually by the time you get the kids settled and get ready…both of you are already tired. If it happens, GREAT…if doesn't, don’t get your feelings hurt. There will be other times...I promise. (see #s 1, 4 and 7)
- I know I said 24, but technically #21 doesn’t count. NEVER take advice from someone who hasn’t been successful in their marriage, UNLESS they’re sharing with you what NOT to do.
- Okay, okay…one more extra added bonus. *If it’s not working, don’t just sit there and die! Seek counsel (preferably spiritual), but if you’re unable to get that, at least get some kind of counsel.*
All Rights Reserved copyright© 2012-2013 Michell Pulliam “Prowess and Pearls” Devotionals by Michell Pulliam
Having a blast serving Him !