As some of you may know, my husband and I just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary! If you asked me 25 years ago where I would be today…I couldn’t promise you I’d be here. Why? Because our marriage was definitely NOT the conventional one!
You see, I met my husband on Oct 14, 1988, the first month really didn’t count(because, as he puts it, I detested him), lol. However, I have a different opinion!
We got engaged right before Thanksgiving and got married January 7, 1989. It would have been January 1st, but I was afraid to take the blood test…IKR! Yes, we took blood test before getting married back then! Had something to do with making sure you weren't marrying your cousin, genetic diseases, etc.
Anywho, I wouldn’t recommend what we did to anyone. But, I must admit...even though we hardly knew each other, we both knew that the other was the "one"! I’m so grateful He took something that was so impossible and made it into something beautiful! Have we had our share of bouts and arguments and rough days…you betcha! But the good ones so outweigh the bad ones! Are my husband and I perfect…heck NO! But you know what, we serve an awesome AND perfect God who makes all things new! God played the biggest role in our marriage being a successful one, but my husband and I most.definitely.had.to.do.our.part, by using Godly wisdom! With that being said, I’d like to share with you some of the practical living life “lessons” we both had to learn during these 25 years if we wanted to make this thing called “our marriage” work!
- Lesson #1…If you’re not a united front, a “team”…don’t expect too much(good) to happen.
- Lesson#2…There must be MORE to your marriage than just sex. Sex is great, but you’d better be able to function in life together, i.e.( conversate, connect, relate, etc.).
- Lesson #3…Listen to your spouse…really listen. There’s a lot to be said in subtleness.
- Lesson #4…If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times…BE FLEXIBLE! Remember…blessed are the flexible, for they shall NOT be broken.(Dr. M. T. Barclay)
- Lesson#5…Never hold a grudge. If you’re not going to “completely” forgive your spouse, you might as well throw in the towel NOW and call it quits.
- Lesson#6…If you think you’re the “perfect” one in the relationship, let me be the first to burst your bubble!
- Lesson #7…Pick your battles…not all of them are worth the fight!
- Lesson #8…Only those who put their spouses before themselves will find true joy in their marriages.
- Lesson #9…If you make your spouse happy, believe me…you’ll get a double portion in return!
- Lesson #10..Whatever you hold dear to your heart…you’ll put all your heart into!
- Lesson #11..A good marriage will add to your life, never take away! It will make you want to improve and evolve yourself.
- And an added bonus...learn to laugh with one another...HAVE FUN TOGETHER and ENJOY each others' company. Seriously, if you're not enjoying each other...then what ARE you doing?!
For any of you out there in a relationship, just starting your marriage off or planning to get married…I hope these are of some help and an encouragement to you. Actually, these principles can be applied to ALL relationships!
If you want to check out some more advice and some of my marriage musings, you can do so HERE . And if you want to read more marriage posts on my blog, just enter the word "marriage" in the search bar located on the sidebar. Okay, now it's your turn! Tell me some of the relationship lessons you've learned good/bad?
Proverbs 12:4, Proverbs 18:22, 1 Corinthians 7:3-5(AMP), Matthew 22:37-39
*SN...If you haven't entered the $850 cold hard cash giveaway...you still have time! You can enter HERE! *
All Rights Reserved copyright© 2012-2014 Michell Pulliam “Prowess and Pearls” by Michell Pulliam